'The Green Man' is most commonly represented as a face surrounded by leaves, or with vegetation sprouting from the nose, mouth and head. Sometimes the face is composed entirely from leaves and foliage. Green Men are used as decorative architectural features, usually representing fertility and the regenerative cycle of the seasons.

I am interested in reinterpreting ‘The Green Man’ as symbol of the city of Stoke-on-Trent at this point in time; a motif that not only represents a sense of regeneration and renewal but one that could also be used to bring about changes, by highlighting what is effectively public artwork that already exists.

Saturday 29 May 2010

'Green Man Trail' inspiration- Space invader maps

I have seen many of street artist Invader's 'space invaders' in various cities over the years and it was always great to discover or spot one, and after sightings you found yourself looking for them and finding them everywhere- This aspect is relevant to the 'sighting' element of my green man project, and the idea that once you have an 'eye' for the green man you will begin seeing it everywhere- something that a few people have said to me since I started this project.

However, I am attempting to highlight these existing features rather than applying them to the city as invader does. I was not aware of these 'invasion' maps until now. This is the kind of layout/ format I would like to consider when producing a green man map for stoke town centre, something I am going to begin work on soon. Invader's maps are also sought after pieces of work, limited editions-this is also an aspect I am interested in developing
.

No comments:

Post a Comment